by Elizabeth Ruske | no comments
FACT: You will continue to do the things you do, and be the way are until you choose to do or be something different. Until then, it is going to be more of the same, with no real change. For example, for 30 years, at the beginning of every month I would say, “I am going to lose weight.” Instead of losing weight the pounds just continued to add up.
You might repeatedly complete “This month I’m going to __________” differently, filling in the blank with get a new job, pay bills on time, begin investing, get the house ready to sell or something. We each have that one thing we want desperately to be different. Yet no matter what we try, no change happens. Talk about a self-defeating cycle of un-productivity. If companies operated that way, corporate bankruptcies would skyrocket.
Choice is the path to change.
To begin real change, I had a choice to make. Here were the possibilities:
- Let go of wanting to lose weight and choose me, my body and my lifestyle the way it was.
- Choose to be different from the inside-0ut, and take every future action based on that choice.
- Continue the pattern of wanting to lose wait and failing to do so indefinitely.
I chose to make a strong, clear choice for me (nobody else) to be different. More specifically I chose to be healthy. The first step after making that choice was to clarify “being healthy” for me.
- Why did I want to be healthy?
- What does it being healthy look like?
- How can I make healthy choices consistently over time (and have fun)?
I declared a commitment to myself deeper than how I looked or a certain number on the scale. I chose health, and I could feel that choice resonate through me mind, body and soul. Real change began.
Whenever we work with companies or individual women looking to lead change, we know we need to reveal this deeper commitment. Once the commitment is clear, we still look to change management best practices to make steady progress. In his classic “Managing Transitions”, William Bridges reminds us we need the 4Ps to make real change:
- Purpose. Why do you want this change?
- Picture. What does success look like?
- Plan. What are the steps that lead from here to there?
- Part. What is your part in the plan? What parts will others play?
This systematic approach can be simple, which is why we created a program that helps you jumpstart all 4Ps in 15 days called 15 Days To WOW.
Share with us:
- What did it take for you to make a real change?
- What results have you seen from participating in 15 Days To WOW in the past?
- What will you focus on in our next 15 Days To WOW program?
no comments on Can You Begin a Real Change in 15 days?